by Craftsmans Corner | Aug 29, 2016 | Exterior Home Painting, Interior Painting
One thing that everyone wants during any project is to find a perfect balance of quality and price. The same thing applies to paint jobs as well. You surely don’t want to be paying a large sum of money for a lousy paint job and get ripped off. So, here are a few tips to assess the price of your paint job:
- Prep time: If you want your paint to last long, then you should have a smooth base which does not have any kind of spots and stains. One simple thing you should consider while hiring any contractors or painters is the time they allot as cleanup and prep time. This is something you might overlook as you go through the total amount estimate. To avoid cost leakages make sure you ask for a tentative breakdown allotted for labor hours and materials.
- Area of your space: One of the key factors in determining the total cost of your paint job is the surface area of the space you intend on painting. We all know that the price of painting your whole house will cost more than painting just a couple of rooms. So, avoid comparing apples and oranges and make sure you compare the price that you are paying based on the total area that you are going to paint.
- The paint: There are different brands of paint available in the market that are of different quality and price. It can be a tough choice, but, you can evaluate your paint based on quality and the price of the paint. If the quality seems reasonable for the price you are paying, then you got a good bargain but if it is not, then you are paying a lot more than what you actually should. Also, another thing you should consider is that some companies often boast that their premium paint are self-priming and that one coat of it will be enough. Others, purposefully don’t mention the number of coats required which can lead to your walls being chalky and you having to redo your entire your space from the start.
- Hidden costs: Some contractors will charge extra for things such as moving large furniture or to paint ceilings or modules which are taller than the standard height. Given that these things require extra effort for the contractors they need to make sure they have their costs covered. So, make sure you ask your contractor about all their costs to avoid unexpected expenses.
- Materials: Before your paint job and after you decide on a contractor, ask them for a list of materials that is required for the paint job and the work that should be done on the that you intend on painting. By doing this, you will be aware of all the components involved in the paint job and will be equipped to estimate the price.
- Environment: One thing that most people forget to consider while assessing costs is the weather conditions. If the weather is too hot or cold or the humidity in the air is too high, then you will have to take extra precautions to maintain the proper consistency and the drying time which might cost you. So, go ahead and discuss this with your contractor.
The next time you paint or repaint your space, keep this tips in mind to ensure you get your money’s worth.
by Craftsmans Corner | Aug 4, 2016 | Painting Project
Are you thinking of painting your walls and are unsure whether you should do it yourself or hire a paint contractor? If you’re into DIYs, then painting your walls yourself is definitely a thought that has crossed your mind. But if you’re not one of those people, then painting your walls yourself is definitely something you consider a hassle. Either way, painting an entire room or an entire house may prove to be more work than you might actually think. To make your decision a little easier, here are some of the pros and cons of painting your walls yourself:
A DIY on your walls means you have full control over everything: which shade you want to paint your walls, how you want to paint them and what you want to do with your walls. Some paint contractors may not get the way you envisioned your walls to be colored (though this is unlikely with the right contractor). So, a DIY job will save you the hassle of explaining yourself to someone and will let you take charge.
It is cheaper if you choose to paint your walls yourself. You can save a bit of money as the only things you would need to buy are paint supplies and paint. You won’t need to pay for the labor cost. If your family and friends are looking to take on a DIY project then you could ask them to lend a hand at a “Painting Party,” which could be quite fun. This will save you time and you won’t have to pay for the labor. Just provide pizza and beer!
Quality is one of the few things you might have to compromise if you choose not to hire a professional. Your walls might not have the same polished and professional look and might end up with uneven coats of paints and mismatched spots. Professionals are called professionals for a reason.
Another downside of painting your walls yourself is that the work might not finish in the time that you allotted. The initial plan of finishing the work during a weekend can extend up to a couple of weekends. Plus, the paint finish might not be as you intended it to be. There are multiple things that can hold you back such as unplanned work commitments and family responsibilities and something you didn’t expect! Hiring a painting contractor will ensure your work is finished in an allotted time, something which will most likely get altered if you take on the task.
Professionals can undoubtedly do a better job of painting spaces which required a bit of skill such as places with strange lighting or spaces that require a lot of preparation. It is better and more practical to hire a contractor and have their team get the job done well, than to realize that it’s just out of your depth, and hire a contractor after wasting time, energy and resources.
So are you still in a conundrum or have you made up your mind?
by Craftsmans Corner | Jul 29, 2016 | Painting
Thinking of repainting your foyer but are unsure as to make it into a DIY project or hire a professional contractor? Although, painting the walls yourself and saving some bucks might seem tempting, painting is a challenge that requires a lot of skill, finesse and patience. There is a reason why the professionals are called professionals. So, here are some of the benefits of hiring a professional to paint your space:
Regardless of the quality of your paint or equipment, without the correct prep work, the paint job won’t look good and it will end up compromising the look that you’re aiming for. Professionals know how to correctly scrape the walls, clean out the spots and stains and smoothen out the surface to ensure the paint job will be durable and look perfect.
It may seem like painting your foyer yourself can be cost effective and save you the initial cost of hiring a professional, but in the long run it ends up being less cost effective. A professional contractor will advise you on how much to spend on paint and other materials and they can offer advice on color options for your foyer. Additionally, hiring a professional will save you the money of either buying or renting equipment, which is an expensive hidden cost. Plus, professionals do a better job because they know what they are doing, so the durability of your paint job pay off their price.
You might not get the polished and professional looking paint job if you’re painting it yourself. Knowledge about things such as color tint and quantity of paint to be used, is something that differentiates a professional from a non-professional. Also, uneven coats of paint can lead to premature discoloration and mismatched spots. These are things a professional can easily avoid, as they have the appropriate tools and experience to ensure that the job is done the best possible way.
Taking on a painting job is an added task along with your existing work and family responsibilities. Given that you need to make painting a part of your schedule, the work that you planned to finish during a weekend can extend up to a couple of weekends. Professionals, on the other hand, have a dedicated timeline to complete their work and can complete your paint job efficiently. So, you can save time and and get a professional finish!
While people may decide to paint their walls themselves, they often forget that they have to clean up after their mess. Another advantage of hiring a professional contractor is that they have their own cleaning crew and will clean up after their job is done. Consequently, you won’t have to worry preparing or wrapping up.
If you are in the mood to revamp your foyer, painting it is a great options. Just make sure you let a professional take on the task.