Every home or office can benefit from a fresh lick or two of paint. Of course, most homeowners tend to stick to the tried and tested paint colors without ever exploring bolder color palettes. This is a real shame because a splash of color can really brighten a room, an office space, or an entire home.
Doing Some Basic Research
The truth is that most people just don’t have the time to do their color research. They give it a little thought and then go out and buy the required paint. For the super-busy homeowner, here are a few color research tips that save some time and money:
- Magazines: Take advantage of all of the home and design magazines filling the racks of newsagents and newsstands around your city. The fact is that there are plenty of ideas in these kinds of magazines, including everything from classic and traditional color palettes to “out there” modern themes.
- Online: If you don’t even have time to flip through the pages of a magazine, how about surfing online to color and design websites? There are actually a whole bunch of really useful color theory websites that can result in some great new ideas for a fresh coat of paint color. This may be even easier than going to a newsstand or library because we tend to have Internet access with us most of the time in the form of a smart cell phone or tablet.
- Observance: If you have a little more planning time, why not take a trip to some trendy districts in your city or neighborhood? There are bound to be countless color ideas in the form of cafes, bars, and restaurants. Use these areas as a resource and get out of the home or office to have a look. Take photos if you have to!
The Benefits of Brightening a Room
Research on office workers concludes that they are happier, more satisfied, and more productive when they are in a light, bright environment. The trouble is that too many of our homes and workspaces are dim and dingy affairs. This is not good for our physical or emotional well-being! A space that features bold use of color and bright painted features is a nice space to be in.
Some Color Ideas
Don’t make the mistake of thinking that the best color palettes are the most traditional ones. There are plenty of harmonious and contrasting color schemes from which to choose and more than one may suit any given space. Here are just a few color ideas for brightening up a dim and dingy workplace or home:
- Tradition with a Twist: White is a classic move when it comes to painting but why stop there? Why not add a modern twist in the form of grey, brown, or orange trim? If you want a sleeker look, try blue or even mint green alongside the white. This is a classic look with a slick modern twist.
- Innovative: Are you sick of beige, white, and cream? Why not try out some really bold colors such as salmon, sky blue, and sienna? If the room is small, make them a feature wall. Use complementary colors for a more harmonious look and contrasting colors for something more striking.
A few licks of paint can brighten up any dark room, office, or home. There are so many great color ideas out there and the paint is so easy to have mixed these days that there’s no excuse!