Tips for Properly Painting Over Mold or Mildew

Tips for Properly Painting Over Mold or Mildew

On September 18, 2017, Posted by , In Uncategorized, With Comments Off on Tips for Properly Painting Over Mold or Mildew

Mold or mildew can cause a lot of damage to your property if you don’t pay proper attention to it. Mold or mildew generally grows due to dampness and tends to spread very quickly. There have been many cases where the entire foundation of a building collapsed just due to the excessive growth of mold inside. Mold or mildew also starts growing on the walls of the house and needs to be treated with care. If you are painting on walls that have mold or mildew on them, you have to take a few precautions. Ideally, it’s best if you get rid of the mold or mildew before you start painting the walls. Here are a few tips for properly removing the mold or mildew from the walls and then painting over them.

Start by Checking for Plumbing Leaks

You should first start off by checking for any plumbing leaks behind the walls in order to determine the source of water leakage. Mold or mildew generally starts growing in damp areas. If you simply shave off the mold growth and paint over the walls, it’s not going to be a permanent fix. Within a few months, the paint will start to swell as water begins to accumulate behind it. You have to start off by checking for plumbing leaks in order to determine the exact source of mold or mildew. If you notice signs of mold near the water pipes or the icemaker lines, there’s a pretty high chance that there’s a leak somewhere. You have to make sure that you seal off the leak and seal it shut before you start preparing the surface for painting.

Mixing the Solution

Put on some rubber gloves in order to prevent injuring yourself while working on the walls. Then, mix a solution of bleach and water. Use one part bleach and three parts water in order to get the right mixture. Apply it on the area that has become affected with mold or mildew and then use a stiff-bristled brush in order to remove any signs of the mold or mildew. Let the solution sit for at least 10-15 minutes before you start washing it. Empty the bucket and then fill it up with clean water to rinse the bleach away. Once that is done, you should wipe away the surface to remove any excess moisture from the walls.

Warnings

When working on the walls, you have to make sure that you keep children or animals away from the walls. Using bleach is pretty dangerous so it’s important that you take the appropriate steps to prevent harm to any other person in the house. When working with bleach, you also have to make sure that you don’t let it touch the exposed surfaces of your body. If you have to climb a ladder in order to work, make sure that you call someone to spot you so that you don’t fall off or lose your balance while you work.

Comments are closed.

Book an Estimate!